About Me

A glimpse into our crazy fun life.

Noah
Powered by Blogger.

The Hunts

The Hunts
Andrew & Michelle

Our Dogs

Our Dogs
Brodie & Silas

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Mommy Tip Tuesday

It's Tuesday so that means it's time to share some tips with each other. Today I want to talk about baby/Toddler food. When Noah started on the journey of food from the beginning I decided I wanted to make his food and make healthy choices for him. I loved knowing what was in his food and it actually make me realize how many poor choices in food I make for myself. When we passed the puree stage to real food it seems like it has been a little harder to make healthier choices. I still make his food but at times I turn to the processed foods just out of plain convenience. I give him fruit 3 times a day but I seem to be having trouble with some of the other stuff. Like, what do you fix for Lunch? I make him sandwiches but other than that what else do you feed a toddler? I can figure out breakfast and dinner but Lunch throws me everytime....what do you fix for Lunch? Any tips on healthy non processed foods that are easy.
The tips I would like to share today are from my experience with baby food. I found a couple of things that worked really well for us.

Tip #1 - I would bake everything at the same time for the whole week. potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, beans....I would decide what foods to make and I would just throw everything in the oven. Then after he went to sleep for the night I would puree it all and pour it into ice cube trays then into the freezer. It was easier and allowed me to have the whole week done.

Tip #2 - I tried to make everything fresh and organic but when I couldn't I bought the bags of frozen...steam in bag....veggies and they works really well. Most of the bags that are frozen are really simple to use and cuts down the baking time. Read the food label to be sure to avoid and added salt or preservatives.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

I cant give Alex normal mixed foods (like what we eat) because of his dairy allergy so I always do a meat, veggie, and fruit. I give Alex turkey and ham lunch meat (nitrate free and pure), nitrate free and organic hot dogs, and chicken nuggets. I also do ground turkey for him sometimes. You can freeze it and just pull out a little at a time and zap in the microwave. I also save him grilled chicken and hamburger meat from our dinners. Its pretty fast to just heat up in the microwave. I add a veggie (green beans, peas, corn, avacado, sweet potatoe fries, beans) and a fruit. My fridge is full of lil tupperware for him with all the leftovers that I can pull from.